Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Everyday Musings > Less plastic, more life.

My dear friend and bro Lal just created a campaign on plastic and how it chokes animals. Not to mention the planet. I went into my kitchen and looked at my three large bags stacked with plastic covers of all sizes, neatly folded and pressed to accommodate the ever growing number, saved to reuse someday. Till recently, it made me feel organised. Today it made me realise how guilty I am of filling this world with plastic.

I shop for vegetables at the fancy hyper city where every vegetable and fruit is shrink-wrapped or sealed in a plastic pouch after weighing, where they give out eco-friendly plastic covers which still end up choking animals eating out of a garbage bin.

Looking back, I love the concept of Apna Bazaar and ration shops, where my parents carried their own cloth bags to buy groceries. Or how, in Delhi, my neighbouring aunties would lower baskets with money in them from the first and second floor and the vegetable vendor would fill it with vegetables of her choice.

As a country, we've grown up with the best environmental practices. The ones that people struggle with now to earn green credits.

Our food was packed in leaves, and we made spoons and plates of them too. We dumped our vegetable waste in our gardens or fed them to our cows. Milk was brought home by a milkman in a steel container and poured into steel vessels handed out by sleepy children. We ate local produce. We wore organic cotton and bought new clothes once a year. We ate organic and learnt not to waste our food. We carried our cloth bags everywhere we went and lived comfortably without missing the allure of plastic.

What changed? Why did we start blindly adopting what we can see is not working in the West? Why did we stop doing what worked perfectly well for us and the planet? Why, now that we know the state of things, don't we wake up and see the plastic each of us generates every time we shrink-wrap our sandwiches or ask for extra plastic bags, just in case.

I don't buy veggies from the local cart vendors because I think they'd be unfair with price and the experience is not as exciting as wheeling a shopping cart and being lured by packaging. Now it seems like such a short-sighted choice.

Apart from veggies, I shop lots too - Lifestyle, Food Bazaar, Shoppers Stop, all of them give you plastic bags. And offer no option of you bringing your own cloth bags and shop with them. Actually, I've never asked. I wonder how they would react if I carried a cloth bag in, and asked them to seal that instead of giving me their plastic bags. I will try that next time.

My bag, like many women I know, is stuffed with various things I just might need. The next time I step out of home, I'm going to put something else in it – a neatly folded cloth bag.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate you for a very good topic selection. I would like to provide the details of some of the attempts made in various parts of India to ban plastic. Of course we have tried. But how far we could materialize that is a million dollar question.

1. Himachal Pradesh (07-Aug-2003)
-> This was the first attempt by a state to ban plastic. Even BBC took interest in reporting this in a good way.
News says: "Under a new law, anyone found even using a polythene bag could face up to seven years behind bars or a fine of up to 100,000 rupees ($2,000). The new law bans the production, storage, use, sale and distribution of polythene bags. The law is based on legislation passed by the national parliament, but Himachal Pradesh is the first state to have implemented it."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3132387.stm

2. Maharashtra (25-Aug-2005)
-> Another attempt to ban plastic. This time in Maharashtra. News says: "The government of the western Indian state of Maharashtra yesterday banned the manufacture, sale and use of all plastic bags, saying they choked drainage systems during last month's monsoon rains.
Environmental groups welcomed the ban, but said it was not enough. Plastic manufacturers said 100,000 people would lose their jobs. Manufacturers and stores selling plastic bags will be fined 5,000 rupees (£90), while individuals using bags face penalties of 1,000 rupees, said the state's top elected official, Vilasrao Deshmukh."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/aug/25/india

3. Kerala (01-Sep-2007)
-> Next attempt was by Kerala. News says: "The Kerala Government will strictly enforce the ban on plastic items such as carry bags, glasses and cups from September 1. The Local Administration Minister, Mr Paloli Mohammed Kutty, said that the licences of hotels, which supply food items in plastic carry bags, would be cancelled from September 1. Apart from plastic cups and glasses, the use of plastic leaves for serving food at parties, including those at clubs and marriage halls, would also come under the purview of the ban, he said"
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/08/10/stories/2007081051400500.htm

4. Chandigarh (02-Oct-2008)
-> Next on the line was Chandigarh. News says : "Backtracking from its earlier stand on allowing degradable plastic bags in the local shopping centres and major shops, the Delhi Government is now going with the total ban imposed on the use of plastics by the High Court in August this year. It has forbidden the use of plastic bags—both degradable and regular—in the shopping centres, paving the way for a concrete plan to combat the plastic menace in the city.The orders have strictly banned the use, storage, import, selling, transportation and disposal of polythene and plastic carry bags by any person in the city. No shopkeeper, vendor, wholesaler, retailer, trader or hawker can use polythene anymore."
http://www.igovernment.in/site/Chandigarh-imposes-complete-ban-on-using-polybags/

5. New Delhi(26-Oct-2008)
-> The recent ban is in Delhi. News says : "Backtracking from its earlier stand on allowing degradable plastic bags in the local shopping centres and major shops, the Delhi Government is now going with the total ban imposed on the use of plastics by the High Court in August this year. It has forbidden the use of plastic bags—both degradable and regular—in the shopping centres, paving the way for a concrete plan to combat the plastic menace in the city. "
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/2-months-after-hc-order-delhi-implements-total-ban-on-plastic-bags/378413/

This list could be incomplete. But the idea is to understand some of the efforts made to make the nation plastic free. But how far it is happening is what we all want to know. I can vouch for Kerala.I have seen a substantial reduction in the usage of plastic bags that too even after one year from the date of ban. Plastic bags were free in shops before the ban, but you have to pay to get one now. That made people to reuse the bags which led to the reduction in the usage. On top of this, there are norms regarding the type of bags that can be sold in shops.

Kay said...

Vrinda sent me this mail.

Since you write about this ....

There are some things that we have followed now for almost 9 months to avoid plastic -

1. We sell the milk packets to the raddi walla - they recycle it for sure, because they are paying money to buy it in the first place
2. At almost all the fancy super markets, we carry our own cloth bags, and they do not have a problem.
3. We do not pick the pre-packed veggies in packets or trays, but pick the loose ones, and weigh them separately & take them straight in the cloth bag - some stores are grumpy about it, but they know there are other people watching, so they do not say no!!!
4. I have had experiences, where the person in the line behind me has looked hard at his/her shopping cart, & tried to cut out some plastic there, and also told me that they would bring a cloth bag the next time they came shopping.
5. We take our steel boxes to the kirana guys store, to buy our dals & rice etc - he laughs every single time, but accommodates
6. One single item, we return the plastic bag, & hand carry what we have purchased - my baker remembers me as the lady who returns the plastic bag - every time I call him to check availability, he asks if I am the one who takes the bread without the plastic bag

the good thing about thses initiatives is that they are not uncomfortable at all ..... when you do it you feel incredibly good ....

Cheers
Vrinda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...